Monday, March 22, 2010

Interaction

The other day when I went grocery shopping, I ran into a Mexican friend. It really reinforced the idea that I need more interaction with native Spanish speakers because it's much easier to learn correct speech this way. I know a lot in my head, but I forget it when I have to speak. For instance, this guy asks me what I'm doing.

I know that to say, "I'm going shopping" (What does it look like I'm doing? I'm at Publix. Anyway...) you use some form of the verb ir + comprar. But I forgot the "de". I would say "Voy de compras." Or, me voy de compras. I really would like to get to the point in which I could just say what I am doing when someone asks me in Spanish! But now, (at least when someone asks me at the grocery store) I've got it!

Also, we got into a short conversation about Spanish movies. I told him about Pan's Labyrinth which he has not seen, and I wanted to say, "Next time (I see you), I will ask you about it." I think I said something like, "El proximo vez, lo te preguntará." (which took me like, two whole minutes to spit out)

It was very nice to get instant correction! I should have said (correct if I'm wrong): "La proxima vez que te veo, te lo preguntará." or maybe better: "La próxima vez que te veo, te preguntará sobre (o acerca de) ella (la película).

The instant feedback is so helpful to learning to speak (vs. learning to read).

3 comments:

  1. Hola Jen,
    ¡Me encanta tu blog!Es verdad. Es muy difícil aprender a HABLAR. El proceso de hablar es muy lento porque necesitas hacer muchos procesos para formar una oración. Sigue practicando. Poco a poco te vas a mejorar. :)

    Visita: notesinspanish.com. Es un sitio excelente para escuchar el español nativo. También puedes poner "podcasts" en tu Ipod. :)


    Katrina McDonald

    ReplyDelete
  2. Había pensado que tenía algo mal entre mi mente y mi lengua. Porque, yo escucho y entiendo; yo leo y entiendo, y a veces escribo, y hago sentido. Pero cuando hablo, yo no haga sentido! Si, necesito practicar. Visité la pagina web que recomendaste esta mañana. Muy buena, gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Y tambien sueñan MUY Español (de España) en ese sitio. Es distinto para mi.

    ReplyDelete