Friday, October 29, 2010

Let's see what we can learn today

A new word.

grato/grata/gratos/gratas - pleasant

Usar: to use (in a sentence)

Aunque el atesorar recuerdos gratos del pasado no es malo, podemos olvidar lo que queda atrás y dirigirnos hacia adelante.

Even though treasuring pleasant memories is not bad, we can forget what is behind and move forward.

And one more: a phrase this time.

por medio de - by means of, through

Puedo atravesar el bosque por medio de las piernas fuertes.

I can cross the forest by means of my strong legs. (Like, I would say that in English?)

2 comments:

  1. So are you teaching yourself or taking a class? I took two years of Spanish in high school and one in college, I did not retain ANYTHING. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, but I bet you learned more than you think! I think we learn a lot "about" Spanish in school. Now that I am teaching myself (I am not sure there is any other way to learn a language, curiosity/desire must take over), I am realizing that, to become fluent, it must become part of you (like English, it just flows from you). In other words, you have to get it inside of you as much as you can. You have to hear it and read it, watch cheesy Spanish soap operas, and (the most boring, difficult part) study it. Hearing, reading, and even seeing it spoken are much more important than studying and fortunately a lot more fun. If you do not live in a Spanish speaking country (well, we almost do), you gotta get sort of obsessed with it and quasi-immerse yourself. And it drives everyone crazy. Well, most everyone. Even people who say they want to learn!

    ReplyDelete