Monday, February 8, 2010

Ganar

I was thinking about how to translate the sentence, "Too much ambiguity makes me want to quit my studies." Google translate is very helpful, but not in this case. Translators are often wrong, especially with the grammar, which is why I love the Spanishdict website because I can ask questions there.

The sentence translated on Goggle as "demasiada ambiguidad me dan ganas de dejar mis estudios." This seemed weird. The word dan is a form of dar- to give. It also seemed like google gave me a form of ganar- to win. However, "ganas" here is a plural feminine verb meaning desire or inclination. So I asked on Spanishdict. The correct translation would be, "Demasiada ambiguidad me da ganas de dejar mis estudios." Which translates as, "Too much ambiguity gives me the desire to quit my studies." And I would use the da instead of dan because ambiguity is singular. OK then.

Gana = desire, wish
Ganas de = desires to, inclinations to
"me dan ganas de llorar" -> I feel like crying

No comments:

Post a Comment